Wednesday, August 06, 2014

My Little Worker Bee

Tonight, my kiddo had an interview for a bar-tending position at a Japanese tavern in the historic Vieux Carré (French Quarter) in New Orleans. Hir aunt sings and plays the piano there every week and she put in a bon mot with the owner. My child just called and told me that ze begins training on Tuesday. I'm so proud of this kid.

Being a college student living in a world famous city might result in a young person partying way too much and getting distracted with all kinds of questionable activities. This is especially true for a young person with ADHD. But my darling chose to stay busy by getting a job. Now ze has TWO jobs. That plus going to school full-time might be too much for some, but a kid like mine has to stay really busy in order to keep out of trouble.

I won't pretend as if ze never makes poor decisions, because I dislike when people get on social media and make it sound like their kids are perfect. My child still has a lot to learn and a long way to go before ze's ready to be completely independent. However, I'm really grateful for the way that ze has dealt with the challenges placed before us in the past couple of years.

4 comments:

Rootietoot said...

You have every reason to be proud! I'm proud for you! Ze is an amazing person and a credit to hir upbringing.

bint alshamsa said...

This kid is FAR more responsible and motivated than I was at hir age. Glory to God for that, because I gave my poor momma the blues when I was young!

Anonymous said...

Someone is using your picture for a hateful Twitter account. Screencaps of it are circulating on Tumblr

Tumblr - http://kat-the-critical-feminist.tumblr.com/post/95615503285/dontneedfeminism-imminentdeathsyndrome-some#notes

Twitter - @ShawanaBJustice

bint alshamsa said...

Anonymous, thanks for the tip. I've reported them to Twitter and now I'm waiting to see what they're going to do.