Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Why People Without Disabilities Should Listen More And Assume Less


THIS IS BOGUS. It contributes to the problem it SUPPOSEDLY addresses. It takes away the agency of People With Disabilities. We are free to define our experience in any way that we want.

I have arthritis. Sometime, my knee swells up. Of course I can refer to it as my arthritic knee. I have schizophrenia. It's ridiculously ableist to claim that I can't refer to MY experiences as schizophrenic episodes.

Instead of making up ridiculous stuff like this picture that contributes to and exemplifies ableism in societies. The creator and the person who shared this should familiarize themselves with what PWD have been saying about stuff like this nonsense for DECADES. I wish people would stop assuming that they know what is in our best interests and what we should be allowed to say about OUR bodies.

No comments: