Friday, May 31, 2013

Port City Race Trends


So, this article was on Jezebel today:

I'm Biracial and That Cheerios Ad Is a Big Fucking Deal. Trust Me.

I'm African-Black-Blackfoot-Crow-French-Irish. My child is all of that plus Italian. My nieces are all of that plus Puerto Rican. Two of my first cousins are also Bolivian. Still we resemble each other quite a bit. If people look past the color of our skin, they might notice that, but they usually just get so excited (about "exotic" features and doing the whole "biracial people are beautiful" nonsense) or demanding that I break down a hundred years of ancestry for them.

I do think it's rude when people get all demanding. Sometimes, I've even had them say, "Why didn't you tell me your blah blah blah was White?" I've had them do it with my Indigenous American background, too. However, to be honest, it's mostly White people that do this to me. They seem most interested if they see my White or White looking family members or my Japanese relatives. They act as if I've somehow betrayed them by not letting them know everything about my family. Oh and don't even get me started on how they assume that I come from enslaved Africans or that my White heritages are because of some slave/master rape scenario. It's almost like they can't believe that there were some White people who knew that slavery and racism was wrong and refused to actively buy into it by seeing certain races as off-limited with regards to marriage partners.

Even though my child's father was also a Creole with a heritage that was a lot like mine (with the addition of having Italian grandparents) AND he was darker than me, our baby came out so pale and blue looking that I thought there might be something wrong. That surprised me, because I was just sure that we were going to have a baby that was brown like me and her father. Nope! Still she looked a lot like our family. All of the children that her dad, his brother, and their sister had are also really, really pale. Hey, in mixed families, sometimes you have generations like that.

When I would take her for strolls in the Vieux Carré (it's popular with tourists), I had several times when people would ask me whose cute little baby was I caring for. The idea that she could be mine never crossed these people's minds. If I used a term like "gens de couleur libres" to describe my background, I just get blank stares. It can be annoying, depending on how obnoxiously persistent the person is, but I've learned to shut that nonsense down really quick most of the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most families in Louisiana are mixed. No big deal.

Anonymous said...

Most families in Louisiana are mixed. No big deal.