Saturday, April 14, 2012

Does Bella Santorum Really Support the NRA?

Rick Santorum has a daughter, named Bella, with Trisomy 18. She is one of the 8-10% of children with Trisomy 18 who live past their first birthday.

I'm severely disabled. Like Bella, I've managed to survive for several years, despite odds so grim that doctors all over the country have studied my case. So, I have a really big soft spot for others who are beating the odds. I know what it has meant for my daughter to be able to still have her mother around--her best friend/cousin's mom developed cancer at the same time I did and died soon afterward, so my daughter is constantly reminded of how different her life could have been. When I've seen the Santorum family together, I've always been really happy for them that they still have their daughter alive and possess the economic resources to give her the best medical treatment available.

When I heard that Santorum dropped out of the race when his daughter was struggling with double pneumonia, I was really impressed. Knowing that he couldn't get enough delegates to win hadn't bothered him enough to drop out of the race, but the second his daughter needed him, it looked like he was willing to sacrifice his personal ambitions to put her first. I felt like even though he was a slimy, sneering, religious fanatic, maybe it was possible that he was still capable of being a decent father to his own kids.

Apparently, I was fooled. He is just one of many politicians who are willing to use their children with disabilities as a way to further their political ambitions. This guy is just an all-around shitty human being. I don't often use that kind of coarse language online, but this time I think it's appropriate. He's just a shitty little man with a big, shitty ego.

No comments: