Thursday, March 22, 2012

ADHD is the Next Phase of Humanity


Of course it is! Those who have children with ADHD already knew this. Her ADHD is what makes my daughter able to teach herself German and Chinese and Japanese while taking 2 years of Latin in school. She's a talented artist whose art had already been displayed all over our state before she even left elementary school. Her brain thrives in situations where I become overwhelmed and feel overtaxed.

We tried medication, because it was suggested by her doctor that it might help her concentrate more at school. It was a total disaster. She was almost zombified by it. She couldn't even stay awake long enough to go to school and come home and eat dinner afterward. We thought it might improve after a few weeks, but it didn't. When my daughter came to me and told me that it made it impossible for her to make art and that it felt like something was blocking her thoughts, we took her off of it, IMMEDIATELY.

She's in high school now and she's learned how to compensate for her weaknesses. She's thriving and she's not drugged, which is more than I can say for a huge chunk of the adult population in this country.

She, and the others like her, are definitely the new model of humans. I have a moderately high IQ and her father is in the genius IQ rating. Though I can see where her father and I have a few of the traits she exhibits, it's very clear that she has a lot of abilities that we don't.

4 comments:

elle said...

this gives me hope--just wrote a post about my ADD, looked over and saw this in the left column of my blog. sleepy now because I took medicine so I could "focus."

Beth said...

If it really does make miracles in various fields then I will accept it as a form of evolution but if it brings more damage than good then I rather have it treated right away. It may seem that as the technology heightens more and more forms of diseases and disorders are discovered. I just wonder, could this be the result of the evolution of our technology or a glitch on our experiments?

Elizabeth McClung said...

I'm glad it is working for her, and that she has parents and a school support network that allows her to mentally thrive. I can't think of a time growing up when I was not unbearably bored, and 'clamped down' at home and school (when you turn in a 'transliteration of The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire' while learning Japanese and Calculus during the boring bits in class, and are constantly chastised, I am sure I would have been on pills if they had existed at the time: from a petition of teachers.

I am SOO glad that your daughter isn't experiencing that. Good luck on the Japanese and German - is she doing the Kanji and Haragana? The manga with english on one side and Kanji on the other are good, as are the Ranma in Kanji (has lots of practice for gender and sibling/parent relationship words - boku, ore, etc).

Lindsay said...

Good for her! I envy folks with ADHD traits sometimes --- it has always been hard for me to shift gears mentally. (Training me to do this was actually the focus of a lot of the special ed I had in elementary school. I would seriously FREAK OUT if the teacher started on a new subject while I was still working on something.) I like my hyperfocus ability, and my sensory hypersensitivities and my unfiltered perceptions means that the world is breathtakingly beautiful to me, but having more of the ADHD person's mental flexibility might enable me to, say, drive a car. :|