Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Planned Parenthood Story

So, Republicans have voted to de-fund Planned Parenthood. Their specious claim is that they are doing it because they care about black babies and Planned Parenthood is supposedly singling them out for extermination. No, I'm not even kidding. They actually said this stuff.

If it wasn't for Planned Parenthood, I might not have had my baby. When I thought I was pregnant, it was the only place where I could go and see a doctor to find out for sure. They also provided me with my first gynecological exam.

When I told them that I wasn't comfortable with having an abortion, but I didn't know what I was going to do, the nurse there gave me the best "You can do this!" pep speech I have ever received. She told me that if I really wanted to have this baby that I wasn't as hopeless and clueless as I felt. She told me just what to do next to get pre-natal care. I left there with everything I needed to start my pregnancy off right. Thanks to them, I have my wonderful and precious daughter that I dote on every single day--as if you've missed all the bajillion blog posts I've written about how amazing I think she is.

My point is that folks who believe or claim that Planned Parenthood is all about abortions are just plain ignorant. They are truly about empowering women and filling in the gaps that leave many women without health care.

5 comments:

profacero said...

So, assuming this was PP-NO, I now have a much better opinion of that PP branch (with which I had some trouble some time ago, precisely because of some issues around race). But great, glad this happened, and thanks for underlining to the Internet world the actual mission of PP!

Rootietoot said...

When I was 19, I got pregnant and decided to have an abortion. I went to Planned Parenthood and they provided me with a safe, clean and comforting place to have this done. Now, at 45, I deeply regret my decision, but absolutely reject the standard religious right business they go on about abortion clinics being evil money grubbing places that prey on innocent women in their time of need. Planned Parenthood was kind, compassionate, and gave me ample opportunity to change my mind. They made me wait a couple of weeks to think about it, then asked me many times while I was there if I was absolutely sure that this was what I wanted, right up to the minute before the doctor did the procedure. Like I said, I regret my decision, but am thankful that I had a place to go to where everything was handled safely and cleanly. Women are going to have abortions, no matter what. The need a place they can go where it will be done safely.

Plain(s)feminist said...

YES! Thank you for this!

Rae joyful! said...

Many years ago I was a client of PP and they NEVER pressured me into anything. Why are people in such denial about this subject? Thank you for posting the truth.

BlogFront said...

Hi Bint,

BlogFront.org is committed to uphold the quality standards of blogging. We strive to maintain and promote only the most credible blogs in their respective fields.

Spam blogs or "splogs" has been a problem for some time now and people are getting confused about which blog to trust.

We would like to thank you for maintaining such a reputable blog. We know that it takes time, effort and commitment to keep such a blog and as such, we have added your blog as one of the top Disability Blogs.

You can see your blog listed here: http://blogfront.org/disability/2

You can also claim your BlogFront Top Blogs badge at http://blogfront.org/badges/disability

Thank you for keeping your blog credible. Let's keep the blog revolution alive!

Maria Blanchard
BlogFront.org
Blog Revolucion