Tuesday, December 01, 2009

World AIDS Day 2009

Today is World AIDS Day. When was the last time you were tested? Click here to find a testing center near you!

"The number of people living with HIV has risen from around 8 million in 1990 to 33 million today, and is still growing."-AVERT

"During 2008 more than two and a half million adults and children became infected with HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus), the virus that causes AIDS."-AVERT

You know, I wanted to do more than just quote statistics. I don't know about others, but statistics never mean much to me until I can connect them with the stories of real people who are affected by them. I try to link to as many disability related blogs as I come across on the internet, but I am ashamed to say that I have never put forth any effort to find any blogs written by people with HIV/AIDS. That's going to change today. Here are a few that I found today:

Still Arriving
This blog will be about living my life as a young HIV positive male. My blog will reference medications I take, side effects I have, and general feelings during this life path. It is meant to help keep my friends and family informed about my health and general information to people just starting out.

My HIV Story
This website is accredited by The Health On the Net Foundation, as a reliable source for HIV/AIDS news. Locate a testing center near you!

Living in the Bonus Round
It was 1996. The internet was young. I was stuck in a hospital bed. I was supposed to die. So I started an internet diary. One of the first. A death watch. But then it happened. I didn't die. I'm not an international spy. But I do look good when I wear my eye patch. Since 1996, I've also written a cult hit off-Broadway hit. I've also spoken at Harvard University...And I'm still not dead. Anything is possible in the bonus round.

The POZ Blogs
A Collection of 15 blogs by people living with HIV

Welcome to Surviving HIV
I travel weekly around the US giving lectures and working as an HIV activist. This blog gives me an opportunity to post interesting articles and interviews that I deem important and not widely discussed. Please feel free to send me feed back at nelsonvergel@aol.com and visit our non profit web sites POWERUSA.org, salvagetherapies.org, medibolics.com, facialwasting.org, and nelsonvergel.com

For those with a Second Life, there will be services today at Karuna Island. You can get to it from here: http://slurl.com/secondlife/karuna/218/87/21






No comments: