Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Is Your Mother On Face Book, Too?

I am so-oo-oo feeling this video. First, my partner's mother joined Face Book. That was okay. She only uses it to post pictures from her trips around the world for her friends. I knew I never had to worry about her actually going to my page and/or reading my status updates. Besides, it was my partner's mom, so I didn't really have to worry about her saying anything embarrassing about me on it.

Then, two three months ago, my mother joined Face Book, too. She sent my partner and I friend requests and I promptly ignored it. My partner thought it was hilarious and immediately confirmed her request. Soon after, my daughter also joined Face Book and I instantly became some one whose "mom is on Face Book". When I thought about that fact, I decided to confirm my own mother's friend request. Now, every time I go to write something on there, I can't help but consider what my mother might think if she sees it. I at the point where most of my status updates are all about the weather. Anyway, check out this funny video that (perfectly) explains the plight of many folks my age with internet-savvy parents.

3 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

My mother's on Facebook, and she's my friend there too. I know she reads my status updates and sees the kids' photos there. She also comments on my personal blog sometimes. But I can't remember ever thinking "oh, better not post this, my mom's reading."

Some folks surely have the kinds of lives or relationships that make such caution likely (or even necessary), but for me it's a non-issue. My life is fairly boring and I don't have a lot of issues with my mother. She's 3000 miles away, and I don't owe her any money, so....

But yes, now my daughter's asking for a Facebook account, and I could soon be THAT MOM. Funny times.

DaisyDeadhead said...

I am that mom. :)

Thing is, it works the other way, too. Now she knows all the things about me that I never told her when she was growing up, but suspected.

At one point she sent me an email and said "there isn't any good LSD anymore, I'm so jealous!"

I mean, what could I say to that? :P

cripchick said...

oh my gosh, not giving my mom a hard time next time she asks me for help to copy and paste/open document/check email, i'm thankful after seeing this video :)