Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fool's Gold

Dear sweet baby Jesu, why do I do these things to myself? I have an informal list of websites that I just don't visit. There are many different kinds of fuckery that one can choose from on the internet. There are your Stormfront/Aryan Nation kinds of hate-sites, Michelle Malkin/AtlasShrugged type political demagoguery, and even Jill Stanek/Operation Rescue style religious fanaticism. I can deal with those websites. Hell, on some days, I actually enjoy reading through them just for the lulz. I mean, when I consider what these people openly state about their belief systems, it's no surprise how hateful their words are.

However, there are other kinds of hate-sites on the Internet that I can't even look at without getting extremely angry. It's the ones that are created by people who claim to be more enlightened than the right-wing bigots that they complain about all of the time. This week's epic fail comes to us courtesy of The Bilerico Project. Their new blogger, Ronald Gold, has written what he obviously believes is a profound post all about how the world should "Say 'No' to the Notion of Transgender".

I thought about commenting on the actual thread, but felt a bit conflicted about it. I mean, can it be any more apparent that Gold is being an attention-hog? This is his first post on the website and, of all the things he could have posted about, he chose this? Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I mean, it's not as if white, cisgender, males aren't known for getting ahead in life by standing on the necks of marginalized people. The fact that Gold happens to be gay evidently isn't a mitigating factor, either.

I'm no genius, but I am smart enough to to recognize that being cisgender puts me in a privileged position relative to those who are transgender. That means I don't have any right to claim to be an expert on gender issues involving trans folks. At best, I can listen to what trans transgender people have to say and support them in the ways that they say they'd like to be supported and pay attention when I'm told that something I've said is contributing to their marginalization or oppression. And you know what? That's not really all that difficult even though some people haven't figured that out yet. It basically boils down to just not being a giant asshole.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I thought I was the only person who read Stormfront for shits and giggles.