Monday, November 02, 2009

We're Moving!

This blog hasn't been getting much use lately. To be honest, I just haven't had the energy to write entire posts. Right now, I have over a dozen half-written posts sitting in limbo because I forgot what I wanted to say or lost interest in the subject before I got around to completing them. At this point, all I can do is just pick up from where I am. Let's start with the big news.

My partner and I are buying our first house! For years, we've dreamed about doing it and now we finally have the opportunity to make it a reality. The German had been researching the housing market in our city for over a year and, now that our finances were stable enough for us to buy a house, we were able to take advantage of a wonderful deal on a beautiful home located in the part of the city where we used to live.

Because Louisiana never saw the sales of property reach the outrageously over-priced levels that some states experienced, there haven't been as many foreclosures as some cities have. Louisianians tend to be disinclined to follow trends, but in the past few years there were some shady developers who tried to come in and get rich through numerous schemes. The house we're moving into was owned by one of these crooked guys. We found out the story behind the sale of this property by talking to the president of the subdivision's homeowner's association. I'll probably write about that later on today or tomorrow.

Right now, I just want to talk about the house. It's located at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, so it has a bit more space in the front yard than most of the other houses on the block. The entire subdivision is pretty new; our house was built six years ago and some of the other houses on the block are only four years old. That means that most of them are in the hands of the original owners.

It's a two-story brick and stucco house with three bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, and a two-car garage. Above the garage, there's a bonus room that could be used as a fourth bedroom, but since it's just the three of us we're going to use it as a workout room and office. It also has a lovely covered patio in the back yard with roll-down shades that will make it possible for me to actually spend time outside without being exposed to direct sunlight.

The master bathroom has a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower stall. Both of the up-stairs bathrooms have double vanities, which is really nice because I'm tired of having The German reaching over me trying to brush his teeth while I'm already using the sink. VanGoghGirl will have her own bathroom, which should make it easier for us all because she can take her notoriously long baths every night without the rest of us waiting for her to get out so that we can use the toilet. If we have guests spending the night at our house, they can either use her bathroom, which is accessed through the hallway upstairs, or the downstairs half bathroom.

We plan to refinish the front door. The German is considering having two panes of glass installed so that the foyer can let a bit more light into the living room.


This is the view from the front of the house. You can see the workout room/office above the garage. The window above the door is in the third bedroom. Since it's the smallest of the three, we plan to use it as a guest room.


We're going to replace this light as soon as we move in. It's really, really dated. Now we just have to decide what we're going to replace it with.


The living room has beautiful, glossy wood floors. The color on the walls is a bit hard to describe. "Olive green" is probably the closest I could come up with.


The kitchen has granite tile counter tops. The tiles are mostly black, white, and orange colored minerals. It matches nicely with the peachy tile on the floor and back-splash.


The German and I can't understand why the builders would use such a cheap faucet in a house of this caliber? That thing has to be replaced. It works fine, but it makes the entire kitchen look a bit cheap.


From the doorway of the guest bedroom, you can see my daughter's bathroom (the doorway on the left) and the master bedroom (the doorway on the right).


Each of the bedrooms have really nice six-blade fans that we plan to leave in. I think we're going to change the sconces, though.


There are two sets of sconces above the mirror. Each one has four lights, so the space is perfect for putting on make-up or fixing your hair. The tile matches the ones on the floor in the kitchen downstairs.


The third bedroom is the smallest, which is why we decided to make it the guest room.


Upstairs, all of the rooms (except the bathrooms) have beige carpet and beige walls. We plan to use this as our office and workout room.


I can't wait until I find a nice seat to put in that window so that I can sit there and read. We're still trying to figure out what sort of window treatment will work for that space.


I think this is my daughter's bedroom.


There are no shelves in the master bathroom, so we're going to put an étagère over the toilet instead.


It also has a huge jacuzzi tub that's big enough for The German to sit down and relax in.


I'm not crazy about it, but I guess I can live with the white counter tops.


That's my reflection in the glass on the door of the shower in the master bathroom.


The walk-in closet is REALLY big.


I love built-in shelving.


The granite surrounding the living room fireplace matches the granite in the kitchen.


This is the living room from another angle.


The garage is in great shape. The walls are painted and there are plenty of electrical outlets.


This is the half bathroom located on the first floor.


The laundry room has built-in cabinets. After our automated kitty litter system arrives in the mail, we plan to install a cat door so that our kitties can come and go as they please without me having to worry about people seeing them taking a poop.


The kitchen appliances are all black. We would prefer a gas stove, but this electric one runs just fine so we're keeping it for now.


The kitchen has lots of counter space and plenty of cabinets.

3 comments:

Wheelchair Dancer said...

congratulations!!!! It's gorgeous.

Good to see you back!


WCD

whatsername said...

Bint, I am SO happy for you! That house is BEAUTIFUL! It looks just like the kind of house I want to own someday too. Especially with that room over the garage for an office/work out room with the window where you can put a seat. That would seal the deal for me if I could find it, I've ALWAYS wanted some sort of window seat area. Maybe you could put a chaise lounge or something in that spot? Then you could use the space to stretch out, or you could curl up on the seat and still look out the window. Just throwing it out there, I'm sure you have a million good ideas. :) And I'm also happy for your daughter and hubby, cuz I know when I was younger I was so glad to have my own bathroom, and my husband has longed for a tub he could actually sit in forever.

Yay! So exciting! :D

Plain(s)feminist said...

Congratulations!!! We recently bought a (first) house, so I can share your excitement. The pics are fantastic - looks like a great place, and I'll bet you can't wait to get moved in!