Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Why" doesn't always matter

Today someone asked me if I've ever been so frustrated that I asked God, "Why?". I struggled with this when I was diagnosed with cancer. I thought about all of the people who go around doing evil to others and live for decades, while I--trying to be a Christian--was suddenly stricken with this horrible problem. What I've learned is that trying to figure out the "why" doesn't really help you to cope. I've also learned that happiness is ALWAYS a choice. No matter what we are experiencing, happiness is still a possibility. Even if the world seems to be falling down around you, the peace of God which surpasses all understanding can make the situation bearable.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Not sure that I agree with that one. Sometimes why is necessary to ask. In my situation had my Doctor diagnosed one of the diseases I have earlier, I would not be in the condition that I am today. Obviously when there is no issue of malpractice, why won't get you anywhere. Asking why gave me the power to take care of my own treatment and find a way to be active in my own care. It took awhile to get over the anger but I know that asking why taught me something I never really did before, the necessity of advocating for oneself.