Thursday, September 24, 2009

Our Lady of Africa

Do you ever wake up with a particular phrase on your mind and then have it stick with you the whole day? This morning, I woke up thinking about Notre Dame D'Afrique, Our Lady of Africa. I have a special fondness for her. I've been thinking about the words that can be found on the wall inside of the church in Algeria that bears her name.

"Notre Dame D'Afrique, priez pour nous et pour les Musulmans."

It means, "Our Lady of Africa, pray for us and for the Muslims." I can't quite figure out why this has been in my head all day--I'm not even Catholic--but I must have repeated it dozens of times already. I wonder if it's something that's in my head for a reason or is it just some thought randomly pulled from the recesses of my mind. I'd rather believe it's the former, but I still haven't figured out why it's there and why I can't stop thinking about it today.


"Notre Dame D'Afrique, priez pour nous et pour les Musulmans."


3 comments:

softestbullet said...

That's a beautiful painting.

Anonymous said...

This morning (1/29/2010) I was moved to look up "Our Lady of Africa" on the Internet. Among the search results was one about an apparition called "Our Lady of Kibeho", part of the story of which apparently has been approved by a bishop as "OK to pay attention to" (my loose terminology.) FYI, over the past week I've been re-reading a book called "My Witness, Bernadette" by J. B. Estrade an eye-witness in 1858 to the multiple appearances to the teenager, Bernadette Soubirous, by "Our Lady of Lourdes". The man personally knew and spoke at length in his home (and elsewhere) with Bernadette during and after the apparitions - it is a fascinating and veritable narrative, which I highly recommend to your reading and contemplation (2 are available as "used" on Amazon.com as of now. I am praying for you in your illness that, God willing, your physical burden may be lifted from you and that you are able to live with joy knowing that God loves you infinitely and always is with (intimately close) to you.

Anonymous said...

You say we can call you Tulip?
Do you have any information on the background of the devotion to Our Lady of Africa?
Be well. Be happy.