Thursday, February 26, 2009

Politicians and Privacy

Today I read an article on the Chicago Sun-Times site about Rahm Emanuel. It's from back in December when the Blagojevich controversy was just beginning. I happened upon it because I found a post on a blog that claimed Emanuel was hiding behind his kids just because he refused to answer questions while he was attending an event where they were performing. Apparently, Matt Drudge also reported this. What a surprise, right?

Look, being in government doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have private time with your family. Demanding a modicum of privacy, especially when there are children involved, isn't dodging or hiding behind anyone. I want my politicians to be family people. I want them to be folks who realize that children need parents to devote some time to them alone on a regular basis. That's just good parenting. I'm not even a fan of Emanuel, but I have to say that I think he did the right thing in this situation.

1 comment:

dmarks said...

It took me a while to find out the names of Obama's girls, and even now I am not sure of them off the top of my head. A good part of that is respect for the privacy of the First Family: these are little kids, not public figures.