Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Post-Suicide Holiday Season

Let's Work on Suicide REDUCTION Instead of PREVENTION: Let's Set Reasonable Goals

This will be my family's second Christmas without my uncle who committed suicide a little over a year ago. As it gets closer to the day, I find it hard to just enjoy what used to be my favorite time of the year. Unfortunately, my aunt and cousin don't live in this part of the country, so they'll be by themselves this Christmas. I wish my uncle was still here. He was so family-oriented that his death means we've lost one of the main forces behind making sure my mother's side of the family gathered together during the holiday season.

I miss him so much.

6 comments:

H├ęctor said...

I am very sorry for your loss.
However, I think your uncle would've liked it if you and your family had a very happy Christmas (or whatever Holyday you celebrate). I sincerely hope you do.

hymes said...

I am so sorry for your loss and for how it is affecting Christmas for you. We had a very sad suicide of a young man many folks knew in our town this week and it is hitting a lot of folks hard. I did not know him myself but that is what prompted my post. I hope we can get past blaming survivors of suicide and have more and more compassion and understanding.

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

Kevin Andre Elliott said...

((hugs))

And take care.

Professor Zero said...

FELICES FIESTAS ANYWAY !!!!! From a sometimes suicide contemplator (it's horrible, I know).

Anyway: I put my blogspot blog private for the moment because I don't want any family members to find it because it may remind them of times in which *they* feel suicidal (it's a family tradition, and no, it's not genetic, it's some weird cultural thing we learn and unlearn). That's why you're invited as a reader. But it'll go public again soon, anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ... !!! :-)

queen emily said...

It is hard. My uncle did the same nearly four years ago, and Christmas is still really hard for everyone. Focusing on the children helps a lot though..

*hugs and that too*