Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's SNOWING in Louisiana!!!

This morning we woke up to SNOW. I can't believe it! The meteorologists were saying it was a possibility but we didn't think it would really get cold enough for the rain to turn into anything other than maybe a little sleet. Boy were we wrong!

The German saw it first. He went outside to unlock the car to bring VanGoghGirl to the bus stop and he started yelling for us to come and see the snow. I thought he was just being a jerk and trying to make me get up for nothing. It wouldn't be the first early-morning prank he's pulled. Anyway, VanGoghGirl went and then she started calling to me too. These are some of the pictures we took.


VanGoghGirl was delighted to hear that they didn't cancel school today. I'm sure the teachers will have a hard time keeping the kids away from the windows as long as this weather lasts.

My neighbor came down to play with us as we threw snowballs at each other.

The snow blanketed all of the rooftops of the apartment buildings in our complex.

The snow right in front of my door.

I felt like I was walking inside of a snowglobe.

Mrs. Bugglesworth had to have her windshield scraped before The German could take VanGoghGirl to the bus stop.

In case you didn't know it, afros are natural snow-magnets.

10 comments:

Ravenmn said...

Those snowballs are hanging a little low on you aren't they?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)

beautyjackson said...

Numero Uno: the fro looks SPECTACULAR.

Numero dos: You've got GREAT snow pics. Everyone back home was so excited!

Renegade Evolution said...

that's pretty cool. Snow in LA. THe real LA, not that other one.

Glad to see you made some snowballs...mr.e and I have been known to engage in legendary snowball fights.

bint alshamsa said...

RavenM,

You know what they say. "The ol' grey mare just ain't what she used to be."

BeautyJackson,

Thanks, I just made two years natural last month. This fro is outta control!

Ren,

There's still snow on the ground today, surprisingly. The neighborhood kids were throwing snowballs at the bus stop this morning too. I love snow!! However, this global warming shit is no joke!

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

What did you use to scrape Mrs. Bugglesworth? I live in Chicago and sometimes don't have an ice scraper in the car.

Anthony Kennerson said...

Ren: The REAL LA?!?!?! LOL

Bint: Oh, but we got you beat.

Six inches on the ground in Opelousas (where I am).

Didn't all melt until late the next day, either.

Scoreboard. :-)

Nice 'fro, BTW.


Anthony

bint alshamsa said...

Anthony,

Booooo!! Hmph! We only had four inches at its deepest. I bet y'all had a hell of a lotta fun out there in Opelousas. Wish I was there!

Thanks for the fro comments. Now I just need to figure out how to deal with all this damned hair. It's starting to have a life of its own.

bint alshamsa said...

AnnMarie Kneebone,

Fortunately, I have a kid who always leaves her trash in the car. We used a styrofoam plate to scrape off the snow. It worked pretty well, too.

By the way, I didn't realize that you were in Chicago. That's one of my favorite cities in the US. I used to live in Evanston for a hot minute. I'd love to move back one day. Who knows, maybe I will!

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

I've been looking at apartments in Evanston. Right now I live more west than is convenient for where I work (all three jobs).

It'd be great to have you in the area. I'd love to meet you and your family. That said, I'm looking at jobs in other places. Do you know of any for a radically liberal queer christian-ish anti-oppression worker in LA? Yeah, me neither ...

Beloved Autumn said...

I know I am commenting in spring...but I could not resist. I live in mandiville and I got 6 inches of snow then to. It was AMAZING considering I lived in Utah (where it snowed 5 feet a year)for most of my life. It brought back memories......