Monday, December 29, 2008

It's My Birthday! Come Give Me Hugs!

Hello everyone. Today is MY BIRTHDAY!! *does a happy little birthday dance*

Today, I made thirty-two years old. How amazing is that? When I started this blog, it was with the knowledge that I was up against the clock with very little time left before I checked out via the Bone Cancer Express. I was writing because my daughter was too young to understand everything that I wanted her to remember about me after I died. I wanted to chronicle the dying experience, so that she maybe she could put things into perspective and perhaps forgive me for not giving her a less tumultuous childhood.

Almost three and a half years have passed since then. Despite the fact that I still have cancer and lupus, I'M STILL HERE and I thank my Creator for that every single day. My life has been too amazing for me to attribute it all to luck or willpower. I don't believe there is enough luck in the world for me to have beaten so many odds and lived through so many difficulties. Life is just so precious to me now that I've gone through so many tragedies.

I still can't explain why I'm here and so many other good people, people who were equally deserving of life, are not. I do believe that my continued existence means I have a responsibility to make the most of what I have been given and work to complete all that I have been put here accomplish. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I plan to contribute to making it something that everyone can benefit from.

As the new year approaches, I hope that everyone is looking forward to as much as I am. Thank you all for accompanying me through this wild journey and providing me with so much advice, encouragement, and support. I hope that I can also return the kindness and have the opportunity to show just how much I appreciate the way that each of you have blessed my life.

19 comments:

sparkle said...

happy, happy, HAPPY birthday. may your light continue to shine on those around you!

Anonymous said...

happy natal day from a two time cancer survivor and former new orleanian who lurks but rarely comments. May there be many more happy ones to follow!

Kristin said...

Happy birthday, Bint! What a fantastic post!

hymes said...

Happy Birthday! You remind me of what matters when I am having a hard time with this or that side effect or bump in the road that seems so important at the time but really is not. I am so glad you are still here.

GallingGalla said...

Happy birthday, Bint!

whatsername said...

Happy Birthday!! :D

cripchick said...

i didn't realize that's why you started this blog, that makes birthdays even more special.

i'm so thankful to be connected to you in this way. here's to you, girl.

happy birthday!

profacero said...

Happy birthday!!!!

deviousdiva said...

A very very happy birthday to you. And all the best things for the coming new year. It's very wonderful to know you.

sly civilian said...

many, many, happy returns. :)

Daisy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Caroline said...

Happy birthday!! You're an awesome woman. :) xxx

Wheelchair Dancer said...

Hey GIRL! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Raising a glass to you and yours.

WCD

Kerrie said...

Happy Birthday, Happy New Year!

Tera said...

Happy (belated) birthday!

I'm glad you're still here, too.

queen emily said...

Bit late, but hey, hugs is hugs.

Happy Birthday!

ArrogantWorm said...

Oi, Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Beauty Jackson said...

OMG, I suck so bad. Happy belated birthday dearest Bint. You have a light in you girl. You've been through a lot, and it has yet to flicker. You've got a whole lot of life, sass and fight left in you honey! Love you so much!

JGH said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I'm a fairly new reader of your blog and didn't know this about you. Wishing you many, many more birthdays and blessings. Looking forward to reading here more in 09.