Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Today I became a First Time Voter

Photo Description: VanGoghGirl and I stand in front of the polling station as I point to the "Handicap Accessible" sign.


Yes, it's true. Despite my long-held former position, I decided that this wasn't a moment that I wanted to let pass me by. The German, who is also a first-time voter, had already cast his vote during the early voting stage but I wanted to wait until today so that I could be a part of the energy that will propel millions of people to make a decision about the future direction of this country. While watching television this morning, I saw someone reading this ad. It really touched me and I thought others might like it, too. It really describes how I've been feeling about this liminal period in history.

There is a moment, a simple moment, before history gets recorded.

Before it goes in the books.

Before it appears as a question on a game show.

Or, on a midterm exam.

A moment right before the headline is written.

There is a moment when history lives in the present.

When we can watch it unfold in real time, right before our eyes.

And we can all assume our place in it.

Some people live for history

We live for the moment just before.

-CNN ad in the New York Times

6 comments:

BLESSD1 said...

I LOVE that ad. Glad you and the German voted.

Kay Olson said...

I'm glad too.

Today has been a good day.

lwayswright said...

I'm glad you voted! all americans should vote!

Penny L. Richards said...

YEAH! You voted! Our polling place is a senior center, so it has good accessibility, but better yet, one of the election officials on duty there was a youngish wheelchair user--so there was someone on-site in a position to ensure that access questions were handled right. (I saw her helping a man who needed a language accommodation--he brought an Arabic translator with him, they were just working out the logistics of where to have them complete the ballot in privacy).

My captcha is "Ovalkini"--I think that's my new favorite word.

queen emily said...

Awesomesauce. Cute pic :)

The Pharisee said...

Welcome to the Fray!