Thursday, November 20, 2008

American Abortions are to Blame for Influx of Immigrants? Sure, Buddy. Whatever you say.

Hat tip to MattBastard

The Washington Post's David Lieb reports
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., Nov. 13 -- A Republican-led legislative panel says in a new report on illegal immigration that abortion is partly to blame because it is causing a shortage of American workers.

The report from the state House Special Committee on Immigration Reform also says that "liberal social welfare policies" have discouraged Americans from working and have encouraged immigrants to cross the border illegally.

People, what can I say about this? I mean, other than it's utterly ridiculous. Now, I might not be all that old, but I am old enough to remember the "Welfare Reform Act" that kicked millions of people off of the programs that made it possible for people to get the help they needed to take care of their families. Some states, including Louisiana, decided to stop giving assistance to parents who were trying to improve their job prospects by going to college full-time. Seeking a degree wasn't considered sufficiently productive in the eyes of the government.

Now, what do you suppose people will do when they are faced with a pregnancy and they have no way of supporting another human being for (at a minimum) the next 18 years? Regardless of how you feel about it, abortion is inarguably a lot more affordable than taking care of a child. Maybe if jobs paid a living wage and we had universal health care, women might not see abortion as the only feasible option available to them.

I think it should also be said that, I don't see any reason why we should prefer one sort of worker (e.g. legal/illegal) over the other. I'm more concerned about the treatment of all workers. Are they being exploited? Are they able to improve their economic status if that is their goal? See, if we improve the way that the workers are treated and if we worked to improve the skill levels of those who will make up our future work force (and that of our neighboring countries), I'm pretty sure that we'd see a reduction in a lot of the things that Republicans complain about.

3 comments:

dmarks said...

" Maybe if jobs paid a living wage and we had universal health care..."

I'm just not seeing how living-wage regulations (which force companies to fire people and cut the quality of services in order to pay people money even if the work is not worth the "living wage" amount that the government pulls from thin air) or the government creating a single unaccountable health care monopoly will help matters much.

"I think it should also be said that, I don't see any reason why we should prefer one sort of worker (e.g. legal/illegal) over the other. I'm more concerned about the treatment of all workers"

I think I agree with you about the demonization of "illegal" workers, who are workers nonetheless, and the real problem is with the laws that are crazy enough to make it illegal for people to work for a living.

dmarks said...

Also, the argument you are quoting has been used by Pat Buchanan as part of his argument that the white race is losing the population replacement battle to inferior brown people.

bint alshamsa said...

I'm going to come and respond to this in a couple of hours, okay? I'm sorry for the delay but I've got to go and pick up a car full of girls so that I can play movie chaperon this evening. Be back soon!