Monday, October 27, 2008

Power Corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

So, it's beginning to look like Obama may have a pretty good shot at winning the Presidential election. It's already pretty clear that the Republican party is going to lose a lot of seats in Congress. People are speaking like all of this is already a given, so I've started to think about it a lot.

You know, I'm a bit nervous about the idea of both houses of Congress and the Presidency being in the hands of one party. I just don't think that too much power in the hands of one group is healthy for a nation. This has nothing to do with whether I trust Obama or McCain, the Democratic or the Republican parties.

Down here in Louisiana, we have a pretty good mix of Democrats and Republicans running things. We're infamous for our history of corrupt politicians but that corruption has never been limited to just one party. We are pretty good about allowing almost everyone to have a chance to govern things. We have black Democratic mayors in the state's two biggest cities (Ray Nagin in New Orleans and Kip Holden in Baton Rouge) and even our Republican governor, Bobby Jindal is a person of color. Our last Governor was a white, female Democrat (Katherine Blanco) and the one before her was a white, male Republican (Mike Foster).

That makes me feel like we are a lot more sensible than most folks give us credit for. Politicians are forced from politically veering so far that they stop considering the needs of the entire constituency. They won't get any higher than mayor or district representative unless they have fairly reasonable way of dealing with those who disagree with their personal views.

When Republican Bobby Jindal was running for Governor, he is the only candidate who came and campaigned over at Southern University, the largest HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) member in the state. Some might assume that since African-Americans tend to vote Democratic, it would be pointless for a Republican candidate to campaign there. Bobby Jindal didn't take that attitude. Whether or not his visit directly resulted in those students deciding to vote for him, it did impress a lot of the Democrats (especially the black Democrats) that I know and that may have garnered him enough votes to put him over the top. On October 20, 2007, he was elected to the Governor's office making him the youngest governor in the US and the first ever Indian-American to serve as a governor of a state.

My daddy and I like to joke that all of the Republicans are closet Democrats and all of the Democrats are closet Republicans. Seriously though, that's okay with me and I think that most people in the state like it that way, too. If the national elections go the way many folks believe it will, I wonder whether it will really turn out to be to our benefit. Maybe it will. I hope so.

1 comment:

mzbitca said...

I agree, I have always thought no party should have too much power for too long. I also wonder what will happen but I do think that it will be relatively limited as America will not react kindly to those elected next week unless they manage to make it rain money and skittles in the next few years. So I think many of the seats what will go democrat will go back to being republican