Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Few Words About the Death of Muslim U.S. Soldier Corporal Khan




















I really applaud General Colin Powell's comments on "Meet The Press". It's a shame that some people are so filled with hatred for anything they perceive as different from them that they were blind to Powell's obvious attempt to keep the Republican base at least partially intact despite McCain's disastrous blunders.

The picture of the grave of Corporal Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan (the fallen U.S. soldier who happened to be a Muslim) that Powell mentioned really touched my heart. It never ceases to amaze me how many Muslims still proudly serve in the military despite all of the prejudice they face throughout society. That's a kind of loyalty and optimism that reminds me of the era when African-Americans volunteered for the military even though they lacked equal rights back home.

I'm usually a bit jaded when it comes to war imagery but this picture of Corporal Khan's mother next to her son's grave made me cry real tears. Here are a few other pictures that I've found on the Internet.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Allahyarhamuh Khan

2 comments:

libhom said...

This society seems to have a limitless supply of bigotry.

missnomered said...

Woah, I just noticed that he was born in the same year as my boyfriend.

It's really sinking in with me that people really close to my own age are dying in Iraq. Scary.