Sunday, September 14, 2008

No Shame--The Poem of a Cancer Survivor

Over on the Awesome Cancer Survivor blog, Alicia discusses her decision not to have reconstructive surgery after her double mastectomy in the post, "8 Months Ago".

I can definitely relate. After several major chest surgeries for my cancer, I know in my heart that I will NEVER have cosmetic surgery. Today I wrote this poem about my body. As always, any criticism is welcome.

No Shame

Look at me and know
that I have overcome.
I have SURVIVED.
This body chronicles my battle,
A struggle that should not be erased.
This body is resilient.
This body is unique
And it is all my own.
No Renoir could compare.
These serpentine scars form a map
Tracing my personal hegira.
Thick hills and grooved recesses
Seam altered organs
And cracked bones.
I owe this body loyalty
for it has served me as best it could.
It is no vessel for my soul.
It is my soul.

6 comments:

cripchick said...

This body chronicles my battle,
A struggle that should not be erased.
This body is resilient.
This body is unique
And it is all my own.


yes!
yes yes yes
thank you for sharing this with us, sis.

bint alshamsa said...

Your encouragement means so much! I don't know how I'd make it if I didn't know there were others like us out there.

Crip Pride!

White Trash Academic said...

How could anyone criticize such beautiful words?! This poem is awesome!

revjohnny said...

The whole poem is wonderful. The last two lines are especially meaningful to me.

Thank you for sharing!

King said...

You got that right, Renoir definitely can't compare to MY Queen!

Plain(s)feminist said...

Just found this. I'm looking at a bilateral mastectomy in February, and no, I won't be having reconstructive surgery, either. Your poem gives me something to hang onto. It's beautiful. Thank you.