Friday, April 11, 2008

My Gummy Tumor Mascot



My cousin, Muffin, found some discounted gummy candy at the store on the day after Easter. She left the container on my desk so that we could all share them. The gummies were shaped like little chickadees sitting inside of a broken eggshell.

After grabbing a handful of gummy chicks, I looked down to see what flavors I had. That's when I found the poor little red gummy chick in the photo. If you look at it closely, you'll see that it has a little cloudy spot right in its center. To me, it looked like a little gummy tumor.

I held it up to the light and it seems as if the candy piece must have had an air bubble in it that popped at some point, leaving the poor chickadee a bit gnarled where its breast would have been.

I've decided to make the little gummy chick my official cancer mascot. Now I just have to think of a name for it. :)

1 comment:

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

I collect turtles, candles, and things green. This started when I was in my early teens, I suppose. One year my mother found me a brown turtle candle and a green turtle candle. You can imagine my joy.

I'm not sure how it happened, but one day I found my green turtle candle somewhat flattened. Some kind of melting occurred in the summer heat maybe. I was so sad by this - I should have taken better care and so on. I was advised to suck it up and throw it away. I couldn't though. There was something about throwing away the green one because it had become deformed, but keeping the brown one because it was not deformed, that felt intrinsically wrong to me.

Over the years many people have tried to get me to throw out this candle, but I always keep it out, with its brown sibling. Usually I have something for it to lean against so they are both standing.

I had always felt deformed. I had always been afraid of being thrown out because of it. I did not have the word "transgender" in my vocabulary as a child, let alone the word "lesbian." What I had were two turtle candles. I needed the words eventually, but I need the candles still.