Thursday, April 03, 2008

Just Thinking About My City

You know, if you ever live in New Orleans for any extended period of time, you'll find out that this is a sort of haven for folks who just don't quite fit in anywhere else. Trust me! I have seen it all on the streets of New Orleans. I don't think there's any sort of person that I'd actually be surprised to meet here. There's the white people who look like they have some African heritage somewhere in their lineage. There's the people of color with skin so pale and hair so straight that you wouldn't know they weren't white unless they told you so.

There are vibrant artist communities, two large Asian communities (I had the experience of living near one and in the other for significant periods during my childhood), lesbian, gay, and transgendered populations...You name it and we've got it here! In school we celebrated Kwanzaa, Tet (Vietnamese New Year's Day), St. Joseph's Day, and Carnival Season.

2 comments:

Salspua said...

When I read your posts about New Orleans, I think of my grandmother who grew up there pre-WWI. It was a very different time, and the growth in acceptance of so many different people warms my heart. It was a rather intolerant place in 1910.

In my grandmother's growing up, she was told not to play with the Irish children. The German children were ok, English children were better, but playing with French children was ideal. My grandmother's scandalous behavior was to play ragtime on the piano. Specifically, the works of Scott Joplin, a man of color.

The transformation before me affirms my knowing that we are humanity, and that our divisions and hierarchies can evaporate within the greater truth. If in New Orleans in 100 years, then anywhere. And even faster.

sal

belledame222 said...

Someday, I'll actually come to NO. Some day.

meanwhile, I've been reading Poppy Z Brite's "Liquor" series--know them? foodie sort-of-crime sort-of-slice-of-life-in-the-restaurant-world set in New Orleans. she said she specifically started them because she got sick of all the books emphasizing the woo-woo glamorous haunted decadence a la Anne Rice NO fiction, including her own, and wanted something a bit more "yeah, this is really what it's like." also the restaurant biz.