Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Why yes, I DO consider myself cisgendered. Thank you for asking!

I just want to go on record as stating that I have absolutely no problem with being referred to as cisgendered. It being the truth and all, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't use the term to define the group that I am a part of. Now, all my lovely transgendered friends and allies, if someone asks you why you use this term, feel free to say that you can show them where someone (i.e. me) has specifically said that, in reference to the privileges she possesses relative to transgendered people, she prefers to be referred to as a "cisgendered woman". Don't call me a "WBW" or a "woman born woman". Neither of the latter two labels accurately describe who I am with as much clarity as does the term "cisgendered". I wasn't born a woman. I was born human. I was born a person of color. I was born as an American. I was born a New Orleanian. I repeat: I was not born a woman. If anyone comes here and says that I was born being a woman, I fully intend to let them know that they must have been born being an asshole.

That is all.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Well said. I think those discussions usually get nowhere and it's not the first time it's occurred. I've seen it happening on Alas, a blog in late 2006, in mid-2007.

Frankly, I've had no one object to refer to them by cissexual, if they knew what it meant, in real life and on some blogs. Heck even on Topix where they have a ton of people ready to kill gays and transsexual (or so it seems), no one was nitpicking over that word.

By the way, this is Schala here.

Lisa Harney said...

Yeah, this is what gets me - the insistence upon an asymmetrical reference, as well as the insistence that something that is nothing more than the opposite of trans is a deadly insult.

What does that say about how they view trans?

queen emily said...

"If anyone comes here and says that I was born being a woman, I fully intend to let them know that they must have been born being an asshole."


haha! :)

bint alshamsa said...

Lisa,

To me, if you just hate hate hate transgendered people and all their EVOL agendas, I'd think that you'd want to be seen as the very opposite of who they are.

I think, at this point, some of them are just arguing anything that gets said by or transgendered people or their allies...even when they pretty much agree with what's being said.

bint alshamsa said...

Welcome Schala!! (((hugs)))

Salspua said...

Cisgendered sounds funny as the word is new to me. I never thought of labeling myself as "hearing" until I connected with my profoundly deaf heart friend.

I also can't imagine my friend D (my son's best friend's father), who I met before she transitioned, being denied health care or protection from violence because her body had a penis when she was born. It can be a part of her reality, though. One I can't imagine because it doesn't happen to cisgendered people. It's easier to see with the deaf friend because I see her unable to hear cars behind her and witness the higher register sounds she has never heard with her hearing aids, as she cannot reproduce them. As I ride the bus, I imagine what if I couldn't hear the prompts, where would I sit or stand so I can see what street I'm on. What if my elementary school socializing time were spent trying to figure out the hearing world and school lessons I couldn't hear, rather than playing tag or telling jokes.

I am just talking here, speaking the process in my head as I read. I add "cisgendered" to white, able-bodied, hearing, lesbian, American, western, literate, middle class, female, and other labels I have accrued since my birth as a human infant in a moment labeled "1964".

sal

Hi, Schala!

bint alshamsa said...

Salspua,

I add "cisgendered" to white, able-bodied, hearing, lesbian, American, western, literate, middle class, female, and other labels I have accrued since my birth as a human infant in a moment labeled "1964".

And I honor you and respect you in all the ways that make you who you are, my love!
Namaste

Daisy said...

Yes, what you said.

:)

Ktrion said...

Thank you sister! Your post made me so happy!

WBW indeed! I suppose that makes her a Simone-de-Beauvoir-Born-Simone-de-Beavoir!

Your cisgendered tranzfrennly sister,
Ktrion