Saturday, March 29, 2008

Overheard Elsewhere II

We "vote everywhere" not so much by ballot, or by shopping, or even by blogging. For what is the "state of the country," after all? What is a "country," but a collection of communities? And what is a community, but a collection of people? And if those people (us) do nothing but vote one day of the year, shop, blog, and then leave the state of their (our) culture and society and communities in the hands of the elected officials, what have we done? What have we contributed? What have we affected? I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have an idea (one might say "vision," were s/he not worried about being misunderstood) of the world I want to live in. And I do not feel content to check a box or pull a lever or push a button and hope, somehow, that this action brings that world about.

Nor am I content to point my finger at the person sitting in the White House and blame them for all the wrongs that we visit upon ourselves in the form of our actions and non-actions.
Nezua on Symbol and Essence: The Vote Version

Or, all things considered, are y’all just trying (smirk) to be polite and using the term young in place of other, less flattering words such as dumb, blind, ignorant, inexperienced, deluded and foolish? Sure, it’s a common tactic to use “youth” as a catchall for all those other words, but as we all know…age doesn’t always equate to wise, worldly, or enlightened. In fact, age often has nothing to do with it. The amount of living and experience a person has is not always reflected by the number of years they’ve been walking around on this earth, the number of lines on their face, or the way they choose to dress and adorn themselves…or who, how, when, or why they fuck.
Renegade Evolution on Young, Dumb, and Full of Cum

But for me, there is another uncomfortable truth: my own pro-abortion-rights politics defy me. Social personhood may be distinct from biological and legal personhood, yet the zing of connection between me and my embryo felt startlingly real, and at direct odds with everything I believe about when life begins. Nor have those beliefs -- a complicated calculus of science, politics and ethics -- changed. I tell myself that this wasn't a person. It wasn't a child. At the same time, I can't deny that it was something. How can I mourn what I don't believe existed? The debate over abortion has become so polarized that exploring such contradictions feels too risky. In the political discussion, there has been no vocabulary of nuance.

Peggy Orenstein on Mourning My Miscarriage, In Japan I Find a Culture Willing to Acknowledge My Loss



Zippo20 on Frozen Chinese Garden

1 comment:

belledame222 said...

amazing photos, thanks.