Friday, March 07, 2008

Ad-Free Blogging

I've decided to add the "Ad-Free blog" icon to the sidebar on My Private Casbah. I encourage everyone to explore the site it links to that explains this stance in detail. Perhaps you might want to consider whether or not it's a policy that you want to adopt on your blog too.

When I first started blogging, I signed up to participate in the Adsense program. Hey, it seemed harmless enough. Earning a few cents without having to do anything beyond adding a bit of code to my page seemed like a nice trade-off. However, I started to feel a bit uneasy about the content of the ads that showed up next to my posts.

Whenever I'd write about cancer or lupus, it triggered Google (the owner of Adsense) to place advertisements on my blog offering all sorts of miracle cures and snake-oil treatments. That pissed me off to no end because I've seen people with disabilities suffer unnecessarily after being victimized by these phony treatments. It's really disgusting!

I'm definitely not against alternative treatments. I think there is a definite place for some of them. I figure it can't hurt to try music or art therapy along with whatever you and your doctor decide to do about a medical issue you're dealing with. However, all over the internet, I've seen sites offering treatments that won't just fail to cure the condition but will, in all likelihood, make the person's condition even worse. I don't want to be a part of that. I don't want to aid those who would prey upon my sisters and brothers in that way.

The Ad-Free Blogging creator makes a good point with regards to why it's important to let people know what your stance is on this issue.
As an avid blogger for the past six years I started to receive numerous offers of money from companies to both advertise on my site and also to "mention" products as a form of endorsement in the content of my blog. Knowing this goes on it became necessary to differentiate myself from blogs that contain ads and inform my readers that they can know for sure that my endorsement of anything (whether it's a product, a book, a piece of art, an idea) comes directly from me and not influenced by any outside source/company/or corporation.
I sometimes talk about certain products that have really helped me over the years (e.g. certain prescription drugs, pro-biotics, food supplements). I oppose a lot of the corporate activity in this country, so it's really important to me that people know I'm not shilling for some corporation.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Yeah, during the primaries I got a bunch of Huckabee ads, even (especially!) on days I had written about him and criticized him... the juxtaposition was actually pretty funny, so I left them up for that reason. (I have a kinda weird sense of humor!)

bint alshamsa said...

I LIKE your sense of humor, Daisy! ;)