Sunday, February 03, 2008

BrainHell has left the building. R.I.P., my friend.




BrainHell
I went to his blog today and found out that he died last night at 8:40pm. What can I say? My feeling is that this beautiful, beautiful person is beginning his next journey and I am sure that it will greater than I could ever imagine or hope for him. BrainHell might have scoffed at sentiments like that, though. He wasn't religious at all. In fact, he was an atheist, and he was completely comfortable being that way. I remember all the times on his blog we all made jokes about The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. He was different from me but I just felt so attached to him. We all were, even though our lives were so different from each other's and from his. I can't imagine him being any way other than how he was.

I don't even remember how I found his blog. At first, I was really afraid to say anything because he wasn't the kind of person to suffer fools gladly. The man had a brilliant mind (His chess skills were unmatched among those of us who posted there). He was really compassionate though. He made a point of sending me an e-mail thanking me for my comments and telling me that he enjoyed me reading his blog. I've held onto it for over a year now. If you were familiar with him, if you saw how little use he had for flattery (giving or receiving it), then you'd understand why his words were/are so special to me.

It's going to take some time for me to really come to grips with the loss of this member of the disability blogosphere.

Edit:

Oh dear, it seems I've messed up a bit here. Jansenist was kind enough to point out to me how wrong I was with regards to BrainHell's beliefs. He actually wasn't an atheist at all. I apologize for the mistake.

10 comments:

Kay Olson said...

Thanks for leaving me a note about his death, Bint. I hadn't heard yet.

And thanks for sharing your lovely memorial words.

belledame222 said...

I'm so sorry. I didn't know him, but the glimpses I had, probably mostly through here, he seems to have been extraordinary. his face is great, here. R.I.P.

Dw3t-Hthr said...

May you be comforted.

In my faith, this is the prayer for the dead, and I say it for him:

A thousand of bread
A thousand of beer
A thousand of every good thing.
May he ascend!

Elizabeth McClung said...

I, who am not a lurker, lurked at Brainhell's. Sometimes there is a person who speaks too closely, too bluntly for you to be able to distance yourself and that is what Brainhell was for me (and in some ways my partner). I had to believe that his posts would continue, in some form, though they had become short and rough. He still had things to say, and I wanted to hear them. Did it matter that he did not know how important his thoughts and record was to me?

He was a reporter to the end, sending back messages from that unique viewpoint and I cannot, even now, believe that he won't post again. I guess that is the greatest honor I can give to the strength of his personality as came through his writing voice.

ms.cripchick said...

may he rest in peace.

amanda said...

I don't normally read your blog. I've read a few times, linking from BHs. His is the only blog I've ever read regularly and I still go there several times a day, I don't know why. Your post here made me cry (again) because you articulated so many of my thoughts and feelings that I've been unable to understand. Thank you.

Lisa Harney said...

My sympathies, Tulip. I didn't even know about him until this post - and I read his blog after seeing this post to see who he was.

So what everyone else said.

Freewheel said...

Nice tribute. He certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. I think he had a real sense of what was important and what wasn't.

antiprincess said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

You describe BH as an atheist above, but his post at http://brainhell.blogspot.com/search?q=atheist makes me think that he was definitely not an atheist. Please say more. Thanks.

jansenist