Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hot Cancer Survivor's 2008 Calendar

I am so excited! Today, I was visiting the Planet Cancer website and I found this:

Hot Cancer Survivor's 2008 Calendar

This is so awesome to me! All of the women are survivors of different kinds of cancer and they all appear with their scars showing sans airbrushing. The best part about it is the fact that one of them is a Chondrosarcoma survivor! Check her out below!


“I would never have dreamed, in a million years, that I would be a bikini swimsuit model for a calendar the year I turn age 50, especially given that I haven’t been able to bend my left knee for almost 20 years – and what exercise I can do involves intense pain as well considerable physiological challenge.”

Chondrosarcoma is a resilient disease, but fortunately Cindy is a resilient woman who’s come back to beat it three times: once at age 15, again as a high school senior, and for a final time at age 30. Each time she went into an operating theater to treat the malignant bone tumor in her knee not knowing if she’d still have a left leg below mid-thigh when she woke up. On her final trip into surgery, doctors completely removed her knee and fused the remaining bone in order to allow her to keep her leg. For the past 20 years she’s been unable to bend it at all.

Now, 20 years later, she’s a wife – and a stepmom to two teenage boys – as well as a successful businesswoman. She’s also active in support of a number of causes – including rights for the disabled and improved child protection laws – as well as being involved heavily in mission work with her church.

“My motto is, ‘Where there’s a will, there’s a way.’ I believe all of us have the capacity, with God’s help, to overcome our challenges, however great they may be.”

--------------------------------------

*Next year the same woman will be producing a "Beefcake 2009" calendar featuring male cancer survivors*

4 comments:

Devious Diva said...

I am sure that I cannot begin to imagine what you are dealing with but believe me girl, you give me so much hope. For you, for me, for us.

bfp said...

err--why aren't you and your marvolous head of au natural hair in this calender???? :-)

this calender needs a little color, in my opinion!!!!

Holly said...

I love this! That is insanely empowering and motivational. I especially love that there no airbrushing and that their scars are there and they are beautiful.

Good luck, with everything, and get that calendar!

BLESSD1 said...

I'm in agreeance with bfp. Why you aint in this calendar, Bint? :-)