Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fun With Doctor Sweetheart

I went to see my general practitioner (regular doctor) today. The nurse thought that I was there because I had a cold but, when my doctor came in, she asked me about weight loss right away.

Maybe I'm in denial but I didn't think it was that noticeable. I mean, I had on a sweat suit that The German had purchased for me from out of the boy's department at the mall (He knows how much I hate tight clothes, especially when I'm not feeling well). I thought that I was going to have to tell her about my continued weight problems but she could tell I'd lost more weight even with the baggy clothes I had on. Do I look that bad? I've seriously been thinking about posting pictures of my naked body on my blog just to get some feedback. Of course, The German thinks I should hold off on that idea.

At the appointment today, the doctor prescribed a Medrol Dose Pack (methylprednisolone) because it helped once before when I was having GI-tract issues. I have to be careful about how much I take because I've had some very bad reactions to higher doses of prednisone in the past, including one psychotic break that resulted in my being hospitalized for several weeks in the psychiatric wing of Charity Hospital. The doctor also prescribed a drug called Robinul to help with the chronic diarrhea I've been having. The pharmacy didn't have any in stock so I have to go back on tomorrow to pick it up.

She also set me up with an appointment to see the gastroenterologist again. This time she wants me to have a colonoscopy. She also gave me a stool sample kit to bring back to her on tomorrow. Isn't that fun? Ah, actually, I don't mind so much. I'm used to all sorts of pokes and prods and scans and tests. I just hate feeling as if other people probably find my life totally disgusting.

I'm really glad that I have a female GP. I think it would be a lot harder to talk about this stuff with a male doctor. My oncologists have all been men and the one that I have right now is so empathetic that having him is like having a female doc, so I can't complain. It's just, I wish more people had access to the sort of doctors that I have.

This cold is still kicking my ass, so I'm going back to bed now. Maybe I'll be back tonight or tomorrow. I'm enjoying the comments on my other post about disability unity and I really want to respond to them this evening.

4 comments:

BLESSD1 said...

Awww....I'll make sure you're in my prayers, Bint!

Doctor David said...

Bint, it's been a while since I've had the time to spend on your blog. So sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. I'm glad you have good docs who are taking good care of you.
Hang in there!
David

Daisy said...

Did anyone mention probiotics for the diarrhea? The best brand is Natren or Dr Ohhira's. They might help, but admittedly, too pricey. A cheap brand is better than nothing. (Yogurt and kefir have natural cultures, too.)

I'm think of you!!!! ((hugs))

Lisa Harney said...

I hope this works out.

I worry every time I see you post about your weight, and then I worry again because I remember the post. :( Best wishes and hugs.