Thursday, November 01, 2007

My Confession: I Don't Vote

I've been pondering whether or not to make this admission for a long time. I've been kind of worried about what some people might think of me if they knew this. I mean, it seems like a foregone conclusion that people who care about the world will vote, especially if they live in a place where they can do so freely. However, I grew up a bit differently from most of the people I know.

Once again, it goes back to belonging to the O.D.D.* I don't know if I'll ever be able to break away mentally even though I'll never go back to being a member. I know too much. That religion is completely ruined for you once you really study it. When I first had doubts, my mother encouraged me to find the answers to my theological and organizational questions by researching the publications produced by the church.

Anyway, one of the things that sets O.D.D. members apart from society is that they don't believe in voting. In fact, you're taught that it's wrong to do so. The principle behind this is that voting means you're putting your faith in mankind instead of in God. We're taught that only God can solve the world's problems and that we should be eagerly awaiting God's post-Armageddon kingdom when all evil will be wiped out. Mankind's attempts to create a world full of "peace and security" will never be successful anyway, so even if a candidate seems like a good person or an able public servant, you still shouldn't vote for them.

I'm going to write more about this later on tonight.

*Overbearing Dictatorial Denomination--the nickname I've given the religion cult that my parents raised me to be a member of.

2 comments:

donna darko said...

voting means you're putting your faith in mankind

Then O.D.D. is not alone in this respect.

Yvette said...

I can see why admitting not voting is a big step for you. It's hard for those of us who were not raised in the cult. Well, most of us are raised in one cult or another. The pressure to vote for many of us is huge. "What?! You don't vote?! It's your responsibility!!" The rant goes on.

I do not vote because I know that presidential elections are a fraud. People will not revolt if they think they're free. I am ready to revolt, as I know enough behind the scenes to no longer accept the rubbish we're told.

When the day comes, after whatever revolution has come, that voting is genuine, I will be the first in line.

Yvette/salspua