Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Achy, Breaky Back Pain

I'm feeling achy today. I forgot to take my pain meds this morning when I got up to comb VanGoghGirl's hair before school so I went about eleven hours without them. I got up this afternoon feeling awful! The crappy part is that once it's out of my system, taking a single dose doesn't provide the same level of pain relief as it does when I take it on schedule. When my body still contains some of the narcotic, it doesn't take as added medication to get it to the point where I can move around without an extreme amount of pain.

I wish I could end this love-hate relationship with my pain meds. I hate the drowsiness that comes with them but I just can't engage in the normal tasks of life without the relief that they provide.

4 comments:

Zan said...

I share your pain. Do you get funny looks at the pharmacy when you fill your script? Last month, my doctor wrote me a script for 60 Vicoden and they were like...huh? And then they called her to make sure she wasn't kidding. Hmp.

bint alshamsa said...

I had to switch pharmacies about a year ago because of the same problems, Zan. Every single month, I'd go to pick up my Lortab and they would say that they had to double check with the doctor's office before they could fill it. What a pain! The place where I go now has fewer customers so the pharmacist recognizes me and doesn't hassle me about my scripts.

Lisa Harney said...

There's so much crazy stigma around pain medications (or around tranquilizers) even though people need these to function well, too. Like, taking the medications is "giving in" or having a weak will. :(

Memory foam mattresses said...

Alot of people see it as givfing in because they dont know what its like! I was hit by a car when i was 8 and even since i've had back pain, and at 1st i was on alot of pain killers but if i wasnt i couldnt sleep or anything! THough now i have a special mattress the supports my back perfectly allowing me to sleep and wake up painfree! But it took alot of drugs to get me there!