Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More on Martin Lee Anderson: The Disability Aspect


Martin Lee Anderson (aged 14 at death)


Martin Lee Anderson had Sickle Cell Trait. If the boot camp had done a thorough examination of the child before they started marching him around the camp, then this would have been obvious. It is well-known amongst medical professionals that exercise-related death is a real threat for people with Sickle Cell Trait, especially children with it. Hell, even I know this and I'm just the parent of a child with Sickle Cell Trait.

If there are adults that the courts put in charge of children (against the will of the child or the child's parents), don't those adults have a responsibility to take care of them? And wouldn't taking care of them require these adults to at least have some idea of what sort of medical conditions these children may have? I would think so.

But hey, what do I know? I mean, maybe being slumped over on the ground because your body is being deprived of oxygen to your brain means you deserve to be hit, kicked, and suffocated to death with ammonia. After all, forcing children to run around pointlessly under the midday sun is just essential to reforming them of their evil ways.

While you're pondering that, feel free to check out the Coalition Against Institutionalized Child Abuse. They do great work and they have done a lot to cover the Martin Anderson case and other cases where children died while in government care.

National Crisis

2 comments:

DaisyDeadhead said...

What makes me furious is that they successfully USED THAT AS AN EXCUSE! Oh, sorry, we thought we could rough him up like an able-bodied black boy!

I was terribly upset by the trial and verdict, as you know. :(

Kara said...

Hi Bint,
I read this post as I visited in preparations for the blog carnival and I totally agree-it fits so well! There are SO many if's with this tragic story-I should've trusted my guy and just added it but I'm glad you shared it so others could be informed. You have a great blog-I hope you keep on writing and I also hope we keep in touch:-)