Friday, October 19, 2007

Happy Belated Eid

I know I'm off by like a week but I simply forgot to post this so now it's late. Anyway, I hope that everyone who celebrates it had a thoughtful Ramadan and a magnificent Eid al-Fitr. My younger brother and his wife just celebrated their first Ramadan as a Muslims. I'm going to have to call them and see if they managed to make it all the way through Ramadan without breaking their daily fasts.

In the spirit of unity, I wanted to post some of my favorite verses/messages from the Holy Qu'ran, The Holy Bible (al-Injeel), and several other faith traditions. I hope you will enjoy reading them and if anyone can think of some similar ones that I can add, I'd love to see them.

JAINISM
One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.
Mahavira, Sutrakritanga
(Thanks, Daisy)

The Wiccan Rede:
An it harm none, do what ye will.
(Thanks, Lisa.)

Buddhism:
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

Christianity:
All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them; for this is the law of the prophets.

Confucianism:
Is there one maxim which ought to be acted upon throughout one’s whole life? Surely it is the maxim of loving-kindness:
Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you.

Hinduism:
This is the sum of duty. Do nothing unto others which would cause you pain if done to you.

Islam:
No one of you is a believer until he desires for others what he desires for himself.

Judaism:
What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow men. That is the entire law; all the rest is commentary.

Taoism:
Regard your neighbor’s gain as your own gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.

Zoroastrianism:
That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto others whatever is not good for itself.

"O people, We have created you from a male and a female and made you
into races and tribes so that you may know each other. Surely the most honored of you in the sight of God is the one who is the most righteous of you”
Qu'ran (49:13)


"Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory."
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh

3 comments:

Lisa Harney said...

The Wiccan Rede:

An it harm none, do what ye will

Thank you for quoting all of those. It's good to remember that so many faiths have this basic tenet.

Also, I hope you had a thoughtful Ramadan and a magnificent Eid al-Fitr. :)

bint alshamsa said...

Lisa, thank you so much for that addition. I will add it to my collection right now. Thank you for the holiday wishes. I believe in many different prophets and sages and I think that I should show respect for all of them in some way. Or maybe it's just that I LOVE holidays so much that I look for any excuse to get in the holiday spirit. ;)

I am also on the lookout for some sort of ethical principle to add the atheist/agnostic views on this issue. I can't quite put one together myself so if anyone can think of something, please let me know. After all you don't have to believe in a deity in order to be an ethical person.

So all you super-fly atheist/agnostic folks, hit me up!!

DaisyDeadhead said...

JAINISM
One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.
— Mahavira, Sutrakritanga

It's so awesome and humbling how they all repeat the same concept!