Sunday, September 09, 2007

"Progressives", Blue-Staters, Democrats, Feminists

When I was younger, I used to believe that we were all in this together. Being a New Orleanian gave me a really skewed view of this country, especially regarding issues like immigration, sexuality, and gender. Our attachment to times past is one of the things that I think we are most famous for. You can see it in the architecture, the language, and the manners. I thought that this was a bad thing because it was keeping us from being as politically progressive as I felt we should be. However, I've come to see that this isn't really the case. We're actually a lot more tolerant and accepting than most of the USA, including many of the so-called "blue states", and I think that this is partially because we don't believe in forgetting about the past.

While other folks are patting themselves on the back because they vote for Democrats or Independents, they see nothing wrong with continuing the same patterns of behavior that have harmed people of color, people with disabilities, women, et cetera. In their minds, they couldn't possibly be a bigot. After all, they don't actually SAY that they hate all members of Group "X" (i.e. any particular marginalized group). I think they simply make up their minds that even if "X" is treated poorly, it doesn't mean that they have any responsibility to speak up or do anything about it. Their silence is painful enough but witnessing them actively promoting bigotry, it becomes almost unbearable.

2 comments:

donna darko said...

That's so true. All they have to do is speak up.

belledame222 said...

yeah, I think living in NYC, it's easy to forget how different it is from much of the rest of the country, also. i go to visit my folks in the suburbs and i'm like: it's so -white-. (not to mention, so -quiet-). and yeah, even the more liberal section of their small city (they live in a more Republican part of town; lawn signs tend to reflect this, it's rather gross) feels, well...not so tolerant. although it's sort of hard to tell when everyone's indoors all the time...