Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Happy Belated Conception Day???

Last Wednesday was designated "Conception Day" in Russia. Nearly all government employees were given the day off on September 12th with the hopes that couples would go home and make some babies. Am I the only one who has never heard about this before? Apparently, the government is so concerned about declining birthrates that it is providing incentives to those who give birth to more than one child.

I don't know much about birthrates and the consequences associated with declines in it. I can imagine it probably means less tax revenue for the government. There would definitely be a smaller pool of both skilled and unskilled workers but couldn't it remedy that by encouraging immigration? Can someone who is more knowledgeable about this explain the issues involved here?

3 comments:

Philip. said...

What a strange reason to give people a day off work :-)

I can't see our government suggesting this.

Doctor David said...

I don't know if I can explain this for Russia, but isn't it ironic that in China, there are significant (some would say severe) disincentives for having large families (ie. more than 1 kid)? Maybe someone could derive a policy that shifts people from China (overcrowded) to Russia (needs more people).

On the other hand, who complains about a day off to try to conceive a child? Sounds like fun to me!

bint alshamsa said...

Sounds like a helluva paid holiday to me too Doctor David!