Monday, August 27, 2007

Presidential election support

The German and I have different ideas with regards to the 2008 Presidential race. He thinks that Hillary Clinton is more electable because she's white. I think that Barack Obama is more electable because he's a man. I've been giving a lot of thought as to why we both reached these conclusions. On the one hand, I think that our cynicism has a lot to do with it.

I'm doubtful that Americans can ignore popular views about gender differences enough to see a woman as strong and stoic enough to be the Commander in Chief. The German doesn't think that white people are really willing to appoint a black person to the highest position in government. We both agree that a 2008 ticket with Obama and Clinton would be the ideal combination for the Democratic party but we disagree about who would need to lead it in order for them to have the best shot at winning the final election.

We've discussed this at length and I can definitely see where he's coming from. Because "the white moderate" prides itself on being open-minded and enlightened about race, many refuse to believe that they may harbor racist notions about people of color. I think this unwillingness to engage in self-examination is what motivates some to make decisions that will effectively limit the amount of interactions they'll have with people of color on a regular basis.

At the same time, humans are creatures of habit. If something has been a certain way for a long time, people often prefer to keep it that way even if they don't know why or how things got like that in the first place. The presidency has always been held by a rich white guy and until rich white guys are no longer interested in politics, I think that the presidency will remain in their hands. It's like that saying about sticking with the fool you know instead of the fool you don't know.

4 comments:

belledame222 said...

Hard to say for sure, because there are also the additional factors of, Hillary has a lot more clout and name recognition and so on, which at least in terms of the Big Power Structure, gives her the edge. otoh a lot more people seem to have a hate-on for her personally than for Obama. also I think he has at least somewhat more appeal to the religious folk, which is not inconsiderable. ultimately though i think she's probably going to get it, because she's just got such a big lead on him in the System. i think people might be more attracted to him but at the end of the day it's gonna come back to Establishment. i could be wrong.

belledame222 said...

but, as far as the CIC thing, thus far I am thinking Hillary channels Maggie Thatcher rather better than Obama channels Colin Powell. this to me is not a good thing, but a lot of people may feel differently.

Renegade Evolution said...

I'd vote for Obama before Clinton. Not because of race or gender, but because, well, I don't necessarily trust Hil...at all.

Cero said...

I'm for Kucinich but would vote for Obama before Clinton. However, I think Clinton (of those 3 at least) is going to win.

I am teaching a class on representations of race and what the students think about race is amazing. ly. 19th. century. It makes me think Obama has less of a chance than I supposed.

Anyway, OT - Bint - I got your message but can't figure out where your e-mail address is here. Mine is profacero@gmail.com.