Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tapping my Fingers on the Table and Waiting, Waiting, Waiting

My period is M.I.A. I wonder if it has anything to do with whatever has caused my stomach problems. I know zip about eating disorders but I do remember that when my aunt was struggling with anorexia and she was exercising constantly, she lost a lot of weight and eventually her period stopped coming for awhile. Of course, this is all just guessing.

About a week ago, it seemed as if it were about to start--I was feeling the usual anemia-related fatigue and my fingertips were decidedly blue--but it never came. I suppose I'll have to tell my doctor about this on Tuesday. What a pain!

5 comments:

Doctor David said...

Estrogen is synthesized, in part, in fat cells. So women with anorexia who have almost no body fat make very little estrogen and their periods stop. If you've lost enough weight to significantly drop your body fat (to near zero), this could contribute to your MIA period.

David Loeb
loebda@jhmi.edu
http://doctordavidsblog.blogspot.com/

Trisha said...

I'm curious as to the age of your aunt and if she is still suffering in an overt way.

I am author of “Lying in Weight: the Hidden Epidemic of Eating Disorders in Adult Women” (Harper Collins, May 2007). I have found that nearly 2/3 of individuals with eating disorders do not fully recover. The illness, or some remnant of it, remains, triggered by stresses and huge life transitions, i.e. marriage, pregnancy, parenting, mid and late life. Losing periods is a symptom. What's underneath in other words how are you feeling about your life and yourself and what behaviors are you doing to cope?

Trisha Gura
www.trishagura.com
trisha@trishagura.com

belledame222 said...

Low body weight, yeah; or also i find when my routine is upset/I'm stressed in general, sometimes it sets my monthlies off kilter.

wv: iccgh

bint alshamsa said...

Trisha,

My aunt is 40 and she still struggles with ED. She is underweight and has been for as long as I can remember which is at least the past 15-20 years. Like me, she also has schizophrenia and when the stress gets bad, she seems to struggle to cope with her ED even more.

Ravenmn said...

Bint, I hope your mystery gets resolved soon. I spent 40 some years waiting for my periods to become regular. Never happened! Which is why I celebrate my menopause!

I can't really relate to your experience, but I wish you well.