Friday, July 13, 2007

Before the Endoscopy

I wrote the paragraphs below a day or so after my procedure. I didn't post it because it was just too hard to talk about anything more about it. I'm about to write a post with some updates that occurred since the endoscopy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that was certainly a bit uncomfortable but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I stayed up until around 2 a.m. so that I'd be pretty tired when I woke up because I've found that feeling sleepy trumps feeling stressed out.

As usual, I got a totally amazing nurse. I know some folks don't buy into it but I really do think there's something extra lucky about being Irish. I have yet, in all my years of having lupus and cancer, had a mean nurse assigned to my care. This one was pretty and bubbly and she's been a nurse for 27 years. As she recorded my vital signs, she and I had a nice conversation that could just as well have taken place over a cup of tea in my living room.

She said that one of the most important things that a nurse can do is try to put herself in the shoes of the person having the procedure. She says that you should treat every patient as if it were your own mother lying on the bed in front of you. It seems as if she really applies that principle too, because I couldn't have asked for a more reassuring person to have in front of me.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm so glad everything went well, Bint! I read your posts at Feministe about religion, and enjoyed them so much. I've been lurking ever since and figured it was time to say HEY! :)

I hate medical procedures, so your quiet dignity in dealing with them, AND writing honestly about them, makes you my new role model.

deviousdiva said...

Thinking of you as always, Bint. I will be watching closely for your updates. Take care sweetie.