Saturday, May 05, 2007

Watering The Daisey

I know I might be pretty late in speaking up about this but I've been a bit under the weather for the past few days. I'll post about that in a minute. Anyway, there's this incident where an audience member comes up and pours a bottle of water onto the notes/script during a performance by the actor Mike Daisey. That doesn't really describe it all that well so you can check out what happened in the video below.



Okay, I totally disagree with the way this guy destroys Daisey's notes. I'm not a big fan of Thomas Kinkade (i.e. Painter of LightTM) but I certainly wouldn't dream of going to his gallery and destroying his art. That's basically the equivalent of what was done in this case. Now, that said, I put most of the blame on the folks who communicated about the content of the show before the school bought the tickets. The school officials should have done a better job of finding out what Daisey's show was like prior to purchasing the tickets and the box office staffer should have made it quite clear that this show wasn't appropriate for kids.

I know. I know. Some people might say I'm a prude. I'm well aware of the fact that not everyone has a problem with their kids seeing a show like Daisey's. Okay, that's fine with me. It's none of my business what other folks do with their kids. My problem is that I don't think that the school had any business bringing kids to a show like that. My opinion is that if parents wanted their kid to see Daisey's show, then they could take the child themselves. What was the purpose behind the trip? Did they think Daisey's content was related to some lesson they were learning at school?

Personally, I think that Mike Daisey's theatre performance was pretty dull but to each his own... My problem with him is how he behaved afterwards. One adult in this group acted inappropriately. However, calling a bunch of kids cowards and screaming at them just ain't right either. Nevertheless, I can understand why that happened. Daisey had just been assaulted and he was still reeling from what happened. Still, it wasn't exactly the children's fault that the adults in charge decided they should all leave.

Apparently Daisey got the impression that this was some Christian group that decided to protest his show. It turns out that they were simply from a public high school. On his blog, Daisey discusses how he later got in touch with the water-pouring audience member and, at the end of the conversation, decided to forgive him. However, the whole post seems to show that Daisey is just unwilling to let go of the idea that this incident was motivated by religion or religious "values" and from all that I've seen, this really doesn't seem to have been the case.

I dunno. It just sort of bugs me because I've been hearing so much about the seemingly never-ending Atheists versus Christians debate. I just don't think that they need any more fuel added to the fire right now. Please, let Kirk Cameron and Brian Flemming duke it out all by themselves. And on that note, I leave with a mind-numbingly boring lovely picture from Mr. Thomas Kinkade himself:

1 comment:

tk fans said...

please visit my store for thomas kinkade's mousepads.