Thursday, April 12, 2007

Funny Cancer Cartoons

Man holding up his chest x-ray and being laughed at by his doctor
When I saw this cartoon, I immediately felt an incredible amount of empathy for the poor guy in the x-ray. There are a gazillion x-rays of this very same area in my medical files. Notice the doctor(?) off to the left, laughing hysterically. I can relate to that too. Just think what it's like when you go into the oncologist's office, feeling all stressed out and nervous about what they'll say, and everyone in the office is smiling and talking about their weekend and what they're having for lunch and generally just having a nice laid-back day, it can be really hard not to get a bit pissed that they have the luxury of being able to be there without having to deal with any potential bad news. Yeah, I know. It's sour grapes but so what!



Christmas tree shaped tumor on x-ray. Text reads: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, which is unusual for a tumor. This one made me almost choke with laughter when I read it. When we begin a discussion session in my cancer support group, we always start off by going around the circle introducing ourselves and telling about what kind of cancer we have or what stage we're in, et cetera. When people describe their tumor, it's common to hear them reference some kind of food:

"My tumor was the size of a grapefruit"

"I have an egg-shaped tumor in my leg"

"My skin looked like the surface of an orange after treatment"

It's just kind of odd, don't you think? I mean, you could describe it using any number of things but for some reason, food comparisons are the most popular amongst cancer-people. That's what made this cartoon even funnier to me. I mean, if cancers can remind people of really tasty foods, then I suppose resemblances to festive holiday icons is okay too!

1 comment:

Blue / Kay Olson said...

The second one made me spill my drink! Thanks, Bint!