Friday, March 09, 2007

Fred Phelps Gets P3wned & Analysis of Biblical Account of Sodom

This is a few years old but since Fred Phelps is still making a nuisance of himself all of the time, I found it extremely amusing to watch as Michael Moore and his highly trained cadre of gay men get aboard their Sodom-mobile and give the Westboro Baptist Church leader a taste of his own medicine.



This next video is amazing analysis of the Biblical account of the city of Sodom. Interestingly, in the Middle East where all of this occurred, to be known as inhospitable is one of the worst things that can be said about a family. I've read about how the His Majesty King Abdullah of Jordan likes to take trips out to the Bedouin territories disguised as an ordinary traveler looking for a place to spend the night. It is not until after he is gone that he has his people go back and let the family know who it is they showed such hospitality to and he rewards them accordingly.

Edit: "Justan Arab" was kind enough to correct an error that I made in this post. He also doubted the veracity of this story regarding King Abdullah and pointed out that this story originated with the tales of Caliph Harun Ar-Rashid. To see exactly what Justan Arab said, take a peek at the comments link underneath this post.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister,

I'm trying not to be, like, all uppity and everything, but you know... all us folk in the Middle East are not the same -- even though we might look like it. King Abdullah doesn't visit Berbers; they are thousands and thousands of miles away from here, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. They're in Africa; we're in Asia. The "b" word you're looking for is Bedouin. Further, his costumed escapades took place a few times almost a decade ago (inside the main cities of Jordan as well as, I'm sure, among the politically powerful Bedouin tribes). It's not representative of who he is or how this government runs. I don't even know if this really happened, to be honest with you. This is an ancient tale told about the Caliph Harun ar Rashid. Maybe he took a page from Harun's Ruler Playbook, and maybe... maybe someone just changed the names.

But it is true that across religion, politics, and ethnicity, to be seen as stingy or inhospitable is to face public shame and condemnation from one's family.

You can consider me,

Justan Arab

Bint Alshamsa said...

Oh goodness, me! Thank you so much for correcting my error. I feel as if I've been caught with my slip showing! :( Please forgive my mistake. I am going to change the wording in this thread right now.

I would appreciate it so very much if you would elaborate about what it is like to live under King Abdullah. Most of the "Middle Easterners" here are from Palestine, Lebanon, and Egypt, so it is rare that I have the opportunity to speak to Jordanians.

By the way, do you think that all Middle Easterners look the same? It seems to me that there are very distinctive looks depending on the area.