Thursday, November 16, 2006

Some People Will Eat ANYTHING!

The German just showed me an article he found on The Advocate (an online newspaper out of Baton Rouge). You seriously HAVE to read this for yourself.


There were more than a few cries of amazement Tuesday evening as the servers and chef at Sullivan’s Steakhouse wheeled a 22-pound lobster — a soon-to-be $500 entrĂ©e — to the table in the center of the room.
Chelsea, as the estimated 110-year-old lobster had lovingly become known in its last few hours of life, got a star’s treatment at the restaurant, complete with an entry behind servers waving flashing sparklers while it sat atop a rolling cart decorated with a black tablecloth, cilantro, lemons and peppers.
Here's a picture of "Chelsea":

Okay, first let's get some self-disclosure out of the way. I am a practicing omnivore. There are many good arguments for vegetarianism and veganism. I totally respect those who choose their diet based on what they believe is good for the Earth or simply based on their religious tenents. Several years ago, I tried to go vegetarian with the intentions of eventually going vegan. I ended up very, very sick. It turns out that because of my myriad health problems, there really isn't a vegetarian diet that can work for me. The fact that soy has been shown to be really bad for people with my kind of cancer worked against my vegetarian endeavor big time.

Because of my own situation, I am well aware of the fact that there are some very good reasons for eating meat. There are certain kinds of nutrients that you're only going to get from animal-based foods. In terms of physiology, our bodies are quite capable of digesting many kinds of meat. As a matter of practicality, there are plenty of places on this small planet where people really can't afford to stop eating meat; When you're living in a place where any food is hard to come by and/or the plant-based foods are too expensive for you to try and sustain yourself without what you can catch, hunt, or fish, I don't think there are any moral arguments to be made against eating meat.

That said, there are some things that I just don't think should be eaten unless you are actually without any other options. This was a lobster that had managed to survive the entire 20th century. The majority of humans don't even live to see 100 years old. But some idiot gets a notion that they want to eat a 20 pound lobster at a second-rate chain restaurant and so this animal's life has to come to an end. I don't understand it. It just looks like conspicuous consumption to me.

At best, the lobster tastes just like any other lobster you can normally find in a restaurant. At worst, you're eating a creature that has been sucking up and ingesting all of the crap that people have been putting into the water supply for the past hundred years. If you think that the environment has suffered in the years that George Bush's appointees have been allowing industrial corporations to get away with practically anything they want to do, just imagine what sort of sludge people were dumping into the harbors, lakes, and streams back in 1896. For that reason alone you couldn't pay me to eat that lobster.

Besides that, I mean, I'm not exactly a sentimental kind of girl but even I would feel really bad about eating anything that was born before even my grandmother was alive. Good grief!!

7 comments:

Elayne said...

Lobsters are pretty much just giant (tasty) cockroaches. I don't care that much about their lifespan; as a species they'll probably outlive us all anyway.

Now, a tortoise, that I'd care about.

belledame222 said...

uh, yeah, that's pretty fucking decadent. reminds me of the club in that movie with Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando, devoted to coming together and eating a soon-to-be-extinct animal . "with a basil cream sauce."

"Heeeeere he is...your Komodo Dra-a-agon..."

sorry.

yeah, that's sad.

but also: jesus CHRIST that picture FREAKS ME OUT. EAT IT?? i'd have nightmares about it returning from the watery grave and eating ME!

brainhell said...

I eat from cans poured into my stomach through a tube. I would oppose ordering or serving that lobster.

delux said...

i think the lobster should have been in an aquarium or something academic... i cant imagine that it tasted very good.

brownfemipower said...

I'd have to agree with you bint--just leave the dude alone. geez. do we have to destroy every damn thing we come in contact with????

There are pleeeeenty of lobster that could've been eating--the fact that somebody paid 500$s for that thing rather than some other lobster means that they are *valuing* killing something that is over a 100 years old. They are paying that much for the privilege of killing something that's been alive longer than most of us. What does that say about our cultural values?

And for full disclosure--I'm a "trying to be" vegetarian--which means that i try to not eat meat--but certian times in my life occur (rainy weather, pms etc) and i gorge on meat. And I just have to say it could be the most horrible PMS'ing rainy day in the world, and I still wouldn't eat the damn lobster!!

piny said...

i think the lobster should have been in an aquarium or something academic... i cant imagine that it tasted very good.

Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought that.

I thought this was a sea turtle, honestly--they get eaten, too. But I don't think that cuteness should make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Survival of the fittest. There's a reason we're at the top of the food chain - everything below us is fair game!