Wednesday, September 27, 2006

There Is Nothing New Under The Sun

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."
(Ecclesiastes 1:9)

As I was in the shower today, my mind kept coming back to a post written by Belledame222 on her Fetch Me My Axe blog. She has one of those blogs that I intend to visit regularly but often forget to do so. Well, maybe it isn't just "forgetting". To "keep it real", I'm pretty envious of Belledame222 and not just a little bit. I mean, she has a catchier blog name than I do. She's not nearly as difficult to get along with as I am. And on top of it all, she's ethnically Jewish! Well, maybe that last one doesn't mean all that much because, you know, you have to be a "religious" Jew for it to count, according to some people. I'll explain that part in just a moment.

Okay, most people who know me are aware of the fact that I'm religious, some might say uber-religious even. Don't worry, I'm not about to start proselytizing and if I were to ever do so, it would only be to recommend that more people join the "church" of sound reasoning. Nevertheless, I am very fond of religion in general--not because of how it's expressed by some people, but because of the potential that it has to persuade a great number of people in this world to aspire to better behavior.

It was through religion that I got my first sense of ethics. I remember being a kid wanting to steal some extra snacks from the refrigerator but being pretty disuaded from doing so by the idea of God frowning down on me and adding the word "thief" to the list of things written about me in the eternal record. Now that I'm an adult, I can think about how stealing snacks would have deprived my siblings of their fair share and that, ultimately, stealing makes one more distrustful and also promotes a certain sense of entitlement that isn't exactly attractive in children.

Since I grew up in a stiflingly-religious family, I have done more than my fair share of Bible reading. That being the case, when I am going through or hear about a situation, I frequently think of scriptures from the Bible that seem to relate to it, in my opinion. Sometimes I also think about scriptures from the Qu'ran or some Buddhist teachings that my sister has discussed but most often it's the Bible because that's what I'm most familiar with.

Anyway, a few days ago, Belledame222 wrote a post about the same lunch with Clinton affair that I've been writing about here, here, and here. In her "Class(y)" post, Belledame222 examined the hypocrisy of certain folks who decided to have a long, drawn-out discussion about some woman's breasts and what likely motivated it. She also wrote about her recent experiences with a variation of the same "some of my best friends are" arguments that I wrote about in the first post about the Clinton lunch. As a matter of fact, she wrote about it before I did in her August 12th post, "Some of my best friends are handy justifications for my political crusade!"

Apparently, David Ferguson isn't the only person on the blogosphere that thinks having some distant connection to people in other groups makes anything you say about that group a-okay.

No comments: