Friday, August 25, 2006

What Would It Take?

I just read this article at the CNN website. Okay, I just have to ask to a couple of questions about this. On August 25, 2006, the authorities at the airport found dynamite and "a blasting cap, a homemade fuse and a quarter-pound of ammonium nitrate" in this guy's airplane luggage. Folks, that was today. Check out this next point, though. The FBI has already responded and looked into it and decided that it wasn't an act of terrorism.

Wow! Isn't it great that they were able to do a full investigation in less than twenty-four hours and decide that this nice little college student isn't guilty of terrorism? I think it's just marvelous that the FBI is so willing to give this man the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that he was carrying bomb-making materials. This sort of thing happens all of the time, right? A person goes to Bolivia to explore some caves and decides to take some bomb-making materials back home with him as souvenirs. I'm sure that the average American citizen doesn't know that it's not exactly legal to bring dynamite on a plane. Right?

Okay, I'll buy all of that even if it seems a bit difficult to believe. But please, tell me this:

What more would this guy have to be guilty of in order for the FBI to consider it an act of terrorism?

and

Do you think the FBI would have been as willing to rule out that possibility if the person who did it was poor or a person of color or one who is not an American citizen?

5 comments:

asdgasdfaserwe said...

It would seem that if you are a person of colour you're automatically a terrorist - bomb or no bomb.

Bint Alshamsa said...

Oh that's just great! It seems that ignorance has no boundaries. If idiots would bother to learn more about the world, they'd be able to recognize that not every swarthy person who speaks a language they can't understand must be a terrorist. First it was D.W.B. (driving while black) now I guess people of color will have to face F.W.A. (flying while Asian/Arab).

I hope these guys are allowed to sue the pants off of this airline. These idiotic passengers are bad enough but when even a person like a pilot doesn't have any better sense of ethics than this, I think it might be time for the intelligent people in the world to start watching their back. The dummies really do have it out for us, it seems.

Bobbie Hart O'Neill said...

Bint - I'm trying to make contact with you but the e-mail bounced back to me.

Yes, I'd love to link with you but I need some instructions on how to do it. I'm so computer illiterate.

Bobbie from Native Unity
bobbieo@digitaldune.net

Anonymous said...

Maybe if the guy tried to conceal the explosives it would be considered terrorism. Oh wait, he did!! I guess he must be George W's playtoy or something to get off like that.

Suzanne said...

Thank goodness he was not trying to put toothpaste or some other liquid in his carry-on bag. Now that wouldd be dangerous!